Friday, August 10, 2012

Birthday Bust


My thirtieth birthday came and went, along with a cancellation for Girls’ Night. I won’t go into the details of what happened, but I wish the woman a lot of luck in finding gainful employment. Several people did send me Facebook messages saying happy birthday to me, that made me smile.

Last year, I wrote a little piece on my twenty-ninth birthday that went through in some detail about the perils of being a summertime baby and not being able to celebrate with my classmates.  I also got a huge surprise from a then-boyfriend who asked me for the one thing I didn’t want to do on my birthday.  He’s no longer in my life, that’s another blog entry for another day.

I wanted to celebrate big at one point; I knew I wasn’t going to be employed at the time of celebration, so I just gave up on the idea. Maybe I should give up altogether in wanting a celebration for any more of my birthdays to come. I definitely didn’t want to celebrate by myself, either.  Oh, the joys of being broke and underemployed at a time when it really counts.  

Next year, I will have my food, birthday cake, and alcohol, even if it's by myself. It'll be my party with the one person that cares about me the most. There will be pictures to document the joyous occasion.