Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Perfectly Imperfect Writer, Part One


I am a flawed writer.

As a wannabe writer, I need to really step up to the plate in my classwork/homework.  To me, that means listening with my journalist ears to what my instructor has to say about the work I turn in, utilizing the resources at school to guide me in my writing, and mentor the beginning writers in class as well. 

This semester, I cannot afford to make any mistakes on my schoolwork. I want to pass this class with an A or a B, and not just “get by” with a C. I don’t want to settle for a C, anymore. 

The exact same thing goes for my news reporting at the paper.  I cannot be relaxed and lollygag on a story my editor-in-chief assigns me.  I’ll admit it; my researching and interviewing skills are not the greatest. I would l to love to sharpen them to the point where I’m asking the types of questions Barbara Walters gets to ask the people she’s interviewing.  I want to prove to potential editors that I can write and I do know subject-verb-object agreement. 

I’m not perfect; I’m also not a saint. Personally, I don’t know of any writer, past or present that has made mistakes in their careers. I’m a wannabe writer that will make my dream of becoming a journalist a reality.  Hopefully, I don’t go the way of Jayson Blair, Eric Glass, and Fareed Zakaria. I can learn from their mistakes and make sure the same thing doesn’t happen to me.

I am a flawed writer that needs some assistance with honing in my basic reporting skills and enhancing what I learn in class.