Sunday, September 16, 2012

What a Teacher Instilled in Me

Growing up in Chicago, I went through the education provided by the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) system.  It has its flaws, and good points as well.  One of the things that sticks out some many years later was grammar lessons in the fifth grade. My teacher, Mrs. Falbe, drilled lessons into us on a daily basis.  At one point of my elementary school career, I recited prepositional phrases, adverbs, and adjectives in my sleep.  I hated doing those exercises, even though I wanted to be a writer when I grew up and became an adult.  I didn't know it then; the idea was to write well for any career in life, where written communication is very important.

Several years later, I decided to major in journalism, taking with me what a CPS taught me those years earlier.  She was a tough lady; she had a reason to be hard on all of us students, even me who hated doing homework and only did enough to avoid flunking the fifth grade.  My grammar still needs some work.  I have a great instructor at Truman College who only wants the best from me, just like Mrs. Falbe did.

CPS teachers work very hard, and aren't appreciated by the students, or the Board of Education.  Layoffs are occurring, unsafe conditions in the schools are up, and all the teachers are asking for is a safe learning environment, pay raises, and respect.  I didn't like my CPS teachers then, but as I reflect on my years in the system, I can honestly say that I wish I had paid more attention and daydreamed less.

I have to find those notebooks from the fifth grade and give myself a refresher course.
Teachers picketing outside of Kellman Community Academy on Sep. 10, 2012.
  Picture taken by Sharon Pearson